Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Local Author Joins History and Humor To Tell His Stories

Joseph Yakel was born and raised in New York's Capital region, and phone calls this place home. His travelings have got taken him far and wide, but it’s his hometown milieu that function as a background for his writing. He's recently published three books, and believes his blend of history and wit radiance a bright limelight on the local country and its people.

Said Yakel, "My roots to the Capital District have got been a major influence on what I've chosen to compose about. I divide my young person growing up in Capital Of New York and Loudonville, and summertimes were spent at our encampment in Westerlo. I attended Capital Of New York Academy for Boys and Christian Brothers Academy. As an adult, I've traveled fairly extensively across America, and spent two old age in Belgium, Germany, and other European states with the United States military. So, I am fortunate to have got a premix of local city, town and state exposure, in combination with this broader scope of traveling to pull from."

He went on, "I began writing my first book when I was about seven old age old. I loved dinosaurs and wanted to be a paleontologist. Although I didn’t print that book, I still have got it, and I'm proud of what I created at that immature age. Looking back on it now, I believe it marked the starting point where authorship would have got some longstanding place in my life."

While Yakel's desire to compose have been with him since childhood, he states that it have emerged in a more than populace manner over the last decade. "Over the years, I've penned quite a lot, but it wasn't until 1998 that I submitted my first article for mainstream publication. It was a technical piece on cablegram telecasting system operations. Since then, I’ve written a figure of other articles, mainly on military subjects, published in both trade mags and on organizational websites."

It’s his up-to-the-minute authorship efforts, however, that Yakel states are his top accomplishments. Between December 2004 and March 2005, he completed and released three books. "Writing the stuff was the easy part", said Yakel, “but putting it all together was a immense undertaking to undertake. I'm very proud of what I've created."

As for the books themselves, Yakel said he's got something of value for plentifulness of people, especially those around the Capital region. Two of his books are family tree mentions that also incorporate quite a spot of local history in them as well. ‘The Autograph Memories of Virgin Mary Yakel’ is the 19th century memoir of his grand aunt. Yakel explained, "Mary was born in the South End 1879 and passed away in 1940. She had an autograph book, which was filled with entries from household and friends along the Second Avenue corridor. I took the little book of hers, a household heirloom, and rewrote it. In improver to the original book entries, I supplemented it with inside information and remarks about the people and households mentioned within her small book. I never knew Virgin Mary Yakel, of course, but working on this memoir have helped me to understand her in ways that I couldn't otherwise."

‘The JACKEL, JECKEL, JAECKEL, IEKEL, YAKEL Family History Book’ have a mouthful of a title, but Yakel states the statute statute title is dwarfed by the book’s content. He went on, "Without a doubt, this have been my most intensive authorship effort, ever. It's a 464-page household chronology, tracing 350 old age of my Rheinish ancestry. Our original household name was JACKEL and JECKEL, but changed more than than 50 times after the family came to America. In Albany, the spelling settled on YAKEL in the 1870’s, while in Milwaukee, it settled on JAECKEL, and in Iowa, our household name changed slightly to IEKEL. This book is first and first a family tree reference, but it's also jammed packed full of really challenging local and German history as well, and that's wherefore this book and the Virgin Mary Yakel autograph book have got a wider audience appeal."

His 3rd and most recent book is a complete going from the first two. ‘The Legend of Juggin Joe’ is an over-the-top fictional wit story that takes place in and around the Town of Westerlo, NY, and centres around the life and times of a hillboy dubbed 'Juggin Joe', for his eldritch musical abilities with the jug. Yakel said, "This book is a state male child comedy/melodrama that I've written in ‘country speak’, which do the story that much more than merriment to read. It’s A light-hearted, clean, merriment adventure, suitable for all audiences."

“The Legend of Juggin Joe"
* ISBN 1-4116-2588-9 * Public House date: March 2005 * $9.00 paperback book book book * 123 pages *

“The Autograph Memories of Virgin Mary Yakel”
* ISBN 1-4116-2101-8 * Public House date: December 2004 * $9.00 paperback * 75 pages *

“The JACKEL, JECKEL, JAECKEL, IEKEL, YAKEL Family History Book”
* ISBN 1-4116-2715-6 * Public House date: March 2005 * $26.50 paperback * 464 pages *

Joseph Yakel offers free chapter previews of his books, and welcomes reviews and comments. His books are available in paperback, or downloadable format. For previews and buying information, visit Smasher Publication at: http://www.lulu.com/yakel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home